Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 21:34:39 +0100
We have had discussion about this poor quality book before (author
Tracy Hogg, who is British).

The UK Discovery channel has approached several of my bf
supporter/counsellor/IBCLC colleagues to ask their co-operation in
finding bf mothers who want to be 'helped' by Tracy Hogg...so far,
the researchers have been told no one wants to co-operate with this,
because the book/approach is so  awful.

I had a call yesterday from a mother who is in a total muddle, trying
to follow the Baby Whisperer's approach. Her perfectly normal baby
was only happy when being bf in response to his needs. When the
mother tried to impose  the Whisperer's schedules, he wasn't
happy.....feeds were tense affairs, with the mother trying to 'make'
the baby feed for 40 minutes (this is what the book says) and not
'allowing' him to fall asleep on the breast (that's such a bad
habit....) and then trying to keep him awake before 'allowing' him to
sleep in the crib.

I get so mad.....

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK