From:
Tina Kimmel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Mar 2009 11:04:00 -0500
I'm afraid the ABM statement strikes me as barely better than the AAP
statement. "Benefits of breastfeeding" is the mantra here, instead of
"risks and harms of formula feeding". "Formula" is in fact never mentioned
by name (the term "artificial feeding" is good, but not as powerful, imo).
Mothers are still encouraged to make an informed "choice". Plus,
formula-feeding is NEVER easy, so why point out that breastfeeding is "not
always easy", in a statement that is meant to support it?

Tina

> The Academy of BF Medicine released this statement yesterday (and yay
> for Ruth Lawrence's quote within which got just a tiny bit beyond just
> the "scientific" stuff!):
>
> Strong Evidence Base for Benefits of Breastfeeding,
> According to Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine
>
> New Rochelle, NY, March 19, 2009—Breastfeeding offers irrefutable and
> long-lasting health benefits for both mother and baby, which are
> supported by a comprehensive body of scientific research, including
> original articles and reviews such as those in Breastfeeding Medicine,
> the peer-reviewed journal of the Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine.
> The Academy is a global organization of physicians dedicated to the
> promotion, protection, and support of breastfeeding through education,
> research, and advocacy ( www.bfmed.org).
>
> According to leaders of the Academy, despite a sound scientific basis
> for the advantages of breastfeeding, dissenting opinions that aim to
> discredit breastfeeding, and question its relevance for women, receive
> exposure in the mass media such as the recent article in The Atlantic.
> Critics of breastfeeding do a disservice to new mothers around the
> world who seek the facts about the proven health benefits of
> breastfeeding as they often misrepresent the scientific findings and
> wrongly base global recommendations on the experiences and views of
> select groups of women.
>
> Clinical and basic science research supports the role of breastfeeding
> in the development of a baby's immune system and the presence of
> maternal antibodies protect infants against infection. Artificial
> feeding is also associated with increased risk of common disorders of
> early childhood such as ear infections, asthma, skin disorders,
> digestive problems, and respiratory tract infections. Studies have
> also linked artificial feeding to increased risk for obesity, type 1
> and 2 diabetes, childhood leukemia, sudden infant death syndrome
> (SIDS), and necrotizing enterocolitis. Mothers benefit as well, and a
> history of breastfeeding has been associated with a reduced risk of
> type 2 diabetes and of breast and ovarian cancer.
>
> With this growing body of evidence, and increasing support among
> health and medical professionals, breastfeeding rates in the U.S. are
> in fact on the rise. "But we are reminded as articles like this arise
> that misinformation abounds. Our goal is to continue to educate
> healthcare professionals to support mothers who understand the
> singular importance of breastfeeding and choose to do so," remarks
> Caroline J. Chantry, MD, President of the Academy.
>
> "The Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine encourages all women to make an
> informed choice when faced with the question of how to feed their
> infants based on strong, well-referenced scientific information. The
> data are compelling, scientific, and reinforced constantly.
> Breastfeeding for the new mother may not always be easy, but it is
> [...]

Tina Kimmel, PhD, MSW (Master of Social Welfare), MPH (Master of Public
Health)
Research Scientist, California Maternal and Child Health Program
Certified Lactation Educator, Mother and Grandmother
Oakland, California