From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 08:06:55 -0400
>One of the charge nurses on the unit is part of the hospitals'
>pain management team.  One of the suggested methods is to use a pacifier
>dipped in sucrose.  Anyone working on pain management for infants ?  We
>haven't had pacifiers in our institution for 5 yrs. and really don't
>want to promte their use for any reason because they will be misused by
>staff.

Neil Campbell, an Australian MD who spoke at ILCA in the early 90s on
"breastmilk feeding of seriously ill babies" told a story about a baby with
an unusually painful leg infection.  The parents were given two options for
pain relief:  They could have him sedated to the point where he'd need a
respirator, or Mom could hold him and nurse him virtually 24 hours a day and
they'd be able to get by with lighter sedation.  Mom opted for the second
course of action, and he did very, very well, *so long as he was held, with
breast continuously available*.

When this sucrose pacifier thing was first published, it seemed to me a
mighty weak substitute for what has always fed a baby's soul.

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC  Ithaca, NY, who's cured many a tumble - some of
them tooth-chipping and bloody - with holding and nursing