From:
Kirsten Berggren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2007 14:23:49 -0500
It's my understanding that the stomach capacity is unstretched - and
that it certainly can stretch quite a bit to accommodate more. How
much more? Well, the standard teaching is that an adult stomach is the
size of an adult fist. So, picture your fist - now pile up all the
food you ate last Thanksgiving (or other feasting holiday, for
non-north-americans) - bigger that your fist? You bet! A necessary
amount of food? Not at all, especially if you're expected to eat again
in another 2 hours. Anyway - please correct me if I'm wrong, as this
is what I have been teaching residents and prenatal classes - but I
think the take-home is that all we have to do is fill the unstretched
capacity for it to be a good meal, but that more will certainly fit in.

Kirsten Berggren, PhD, CLC