From:
Lynn Carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 2004 11:01:23 -0600
On Wednesday, December 15, 2004, at 08:06 AM, Automatic digest processor
wrote:

>> From what I have read (Lawrence, BAB) I have understood that maternal
> supplemental iron doesn't affect the iron level in breastmilk.

If the mother's levels are normal, this is true.  She cannot make
"supermilk" by taking lots of supplements.  But if the milk iron is
really low because mom just doesn't have it to put into the milk,
supp'ing her can get the milk up to "normal" and thereby get more into
baby.

In my case, the difference was _really dramatic_ in my son's levels, and
I was taking a pretty substantial dose of herbal iron.  I only wish I
had gotten my own hb tested before and after.  For the record, he was an
allergic baby who did not take solids at that point.

I have recommended this course to several moms and they have also had
success.

Lynn in MO