From:
Dina Ovando-Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 02:31:07 -0400
After reading the many posts about the childbirth classes and breastfeeding
classes, I had to respond to add yet another view. I am the only bilingual
CCE and LC in the our area and the only one giving classes in Spanish in a
VERY large radius. 90% of the clients I work with are of a lower
socioeconomic status, many are teens and a good number have high risk
behaviors.  I give a "benefits of bfg class in the 1st trimester, a "How to
breastfeed" in the 3rd trimester, talk about it incessantly throughout my
childbirth classes and do rounds through our postpartum floor and NICU 3x's
a week. I also do PP consultations and will be starting a pumping support
group in 2 weeks for our NICU moms. I'm pretty busy!
The childbirth classes I give is for some the first time they realize that
they can say "no" to a procedure and that the birth of their child can be an
experience they can own. Because of the culture and language barriers many
would never have voiced a concern or question to the HCP and after will.
They learn that if more start asking for a natural experience, the MD will
have to comply. We role play, and encourage each other to not fear what is
the fulfillment of their bodies-the strength to bear a child and then
continue to norish through bfg.We talk about cultural beliefs, myths and
fears.
I took all 3 of my children to work for from 3-4 months(was at home prior)
to 12-18 months and modeled breastfeeding,slingwearing and parenting,while
teaching.
  My clients do not have the resources of midwives, doulas and free standing
birthing centers- geographically, not monetary-wise,or transportation wise.
I have been called on the carpet by anesthesia-"what was I saying to the
patients about epidurals? They are refusing them!" I stood by my point and
eventually won over the most opposed, after helping her breastfeed. She is
now my ally-and went on to breastfeed for over a year. Some pediatricians
are bothered by my push for exclusive bfg, others are grateful to refer.
I have been called on the carpet by a few OB's and Nurses-but continue to
preach the "gospel" of birth and bfg and the classes are growing in numbers
and more moms asking for no or less interventions.Some HCP's think I am
trouble and others have thanked me for saying what they have thought for
years and have never voiced.
While I may not be as "pure" as others opinions have expressed I KNOW that I
have helped many as our birthing practices have improved and our bfg rates
are rising-change has been slow-nonetheless there has been change.
I continue to be employed by my hospital and feel that I continue to be true
to myself and to those who need to be educated and empowered to truly
experience the richness of motherhood through birth and breastfeeding.
Sorry so long.

Dina Ovando-Brown BSN, CCE, IBCLC
Long Beach, CA