From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2007 23:07:19 -0500
Yesterday, I went to sit down in the waiting room outside of my 8
year-old's gymnastic class. As I walked in, there was a lively
discussion going on among 4 of the women about breastfeeding. These
are women with kids about my son's age--no babies or toddlers, so
their own experiences would have been between 6-10 years ago. They
were literally singing the praises of AIM--three of them had
attempted to bf, one had "not even bothered" (her words). She is a
psychotherapist and is often speaking quite animatedly about
developmental issues.

Anyway, one of the moms said that she "tried" for two days and that
"they say that it isn't even the best thing for some babies, that it
really depends on the baby and mother. My pediatrician even told me
to stop breastfeeding, that it isn't for everyone and it wasn't for
me He told me that bottlefeeding is just as good". Each mother agreed
that her physician had supported her AF, the tenor being that the
docs were actually supportive of AF, not just of the mothers
themselves. Not one said that any medical person had ever encouraged
her to bf (which I realize does not mean that it didn't happen).

One of the other moms said she had tried for 4 weeks and finally quit
(she did nurse her last one for 8 months, but she clearly stated that
is was for her benefit, not the baby). The largest part of her
conversation was about how careful she was with the AIM when she
first used it--afraid of mixing it incorrectly, but by the third one
was using the cheapest powdered she could buy, b/c it really didn't
matter (this was the bf baby). She was basically laughing at her own
foolishness for being so concerned about feeding her baby. There was
a lot of discussion about how much these women "trust" the product--
yes they used that word. The therapist made the comment that "the
kids all turned out fine". The theme seemed to be that worrying about
breastfeeding and even how to mix the AIM is all silliness, a waste
of time. One woman even stated that AIM is actually "better" for some
babies (meaning the product, not just the method).

The fourth woman talked about how much trouble she went to to get a
pump for her preemie baby when he came home from the hospital. Again
the whole tone was about how foolish she had been to go to such
extremes. The consensus was that women are "made to think that
breastfeeding is so important" and pushed to try it when it really
isn't important at all. The implication I got was that this came from
their childbirth classes and things they had read, but it may alsp
have come from hospital nurses supportive of bf'ing.

BTW, these are upper middle class white women, who certainly have the
resources to pay for AIM or to hire breastfeeding help. None of them
mentioned ever seeing an LC. This is a culture where breastfeeding is
outright disparaged and AF is seen as more than normal--it is highly
valued.

I am not sure exactly what conclusions I would draw, but it made me
very sad and it was clear to me that the combination of incessant
marketing (disguised as education), medicalized birth practices and a
lack of physician advocacy (or physician ambivalence or even outright
distaste for breastfeeding) are a potent mix for disaster in this
culture.
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA