From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Jul 2001 13:23:54 +0200
Yesterday I was at the grocery store.  Met a colleague, an Ob/gyn who has BF
her 3 children for nearly 10 years in total.  She introduced me to her
friend who was visiting from her current home abroad, and then said. 'I have
to tell you a great breastfeeding story about her!'.  Friend smiled, so I
said sure, fire away.
This friend had her first baby in 1974.  BF was difficult, baby unhappy,
mother sore, not enough milk.  Her mother, who'd had 4 children of her own,
was staying with her.  Mother was advising longer between-meal intervals to
'save up more milk', and then went to a pharmacy to buy a pump to 'protect'
her daughter's nipples because baby's sucking was so painful.  Probably at
that point it would have been a bicycle horn pump, too, but it never got
that far.  This was in Finnmark, the northernmost part of the country and
the most sparsely populated.  The grandmother asked for a pump, and the
customer in line behind her asked what she needed it for.  The grandmother
told her.  The woman turned out to be a member of the mother-to-mother BF
support org. here and a volunteer counselor.  She went back to the house
with the grandmother and helped them sort it out.  BF continued for a long
time afterwards, to everyone's satisfaction.

Twenty-seven years later, this woman remembers that volunteer with affection
and gratitude, and enjoys hearing this story told to near-strangers in a
supermarket.

That's why we do it.  We can't help it.
Rachel Myr