Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2007 21:52:08 EDT
I know we do have a small amount of Similac Organic formula at our  hospital.
 I have a mom with breast reduction who have 4 weeks of all out  effort is
just not making more than a half an ounce for her baby.  She was  very
devastated but felt organic was her best option as she uses all organic in  her home,
including her cleaning equipment.

I do have 2 other breast reduction moms currently breastfeeding their 2nd
babies making a full supply!

Recently I was working with a mom whose baby was NOT doing his job at the
breast.  No swallows.  No BMs in over 24 hours, no voids in over 12  hours.  He
was almost 48 hours old, hungry and frustrated. I gave her  a hand pump, which
she did pump about 10ml.  We fed that and I discussed a  temporary use of
formula until she was pumping better.  She cried, didn't  want her baby to have
any formula.  She confessed she was a rep, and if I  really felt we had to use
anything temporarily she stated only organic from her  company that she worked
for.  And her goal was breastfeeding/breastmilk  ONLY.  We did a syringe and
feeding tube at the breast, I could get baby to  transfer by holding a slight
pressure on the syringe.  Both parents were  very eager to supplement at the
breast whenever possible to help baby learn to  breastfeed.  She knows a LC who
could come to her house and follow up  after discharge.  She started pumping
her milk EASILY and never used  formula again while in the hospital!  I hope
she is doing good today, she  seemed very motivated.  I know, how ironic a
formula rep doesn't want her  baby to have formula.  I didn't judge her, I just
helped her.  I hope  today she is doing well.

Pamela Ann Hendrix RN, BA, IBCLC, ICCE
S. Florida Hospital Based