From:
"R. Bacon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jun 2002 22:11:45 -0400
Jodine the thing that concerns me is that these are high
risk for diabetes babies and they will be given cows milk.
We already have some research that shows that these
babies do much better on breast milk, why not put all
this money into a milk bank at the Hospital for Sick
Children ? They used to have one and they closed it.
Or they could use this money to promote breastfeeding.

I am also disgusted that Mead Johnson will be beneficiaries.
Their new formula is getting all kinds of free advertising.
Maybe it is a little better than the old one but it is not
breastmilk.

And some of the mothers in the study will wean early and
will not know which cow milk formula they will be using.
Noone will be giving them the sheet on the harmful effects
of using cow milk formula.  It is an unethical study and I
think we should all write (at least us Canadians )  to the
Hospital for Sick Children.  It is not ethical to experiment
on high risk babies.

Ruth Bacon  IBCLC   Ontario