From:
Annelies Bon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 1998 14:05:10 +0000
Jay asked:
<<< I just found out today, that she is bulemic, but in recovery.  From
what she told me, she was Bulemic up until last April, which means she
was
active during pregnancies 1 and 2.
My question:  Could Bulemia have the effect of killing a milk supply?>>>

I think it is possible. when I had Anorexia Nervosa (related to Bulimia
Nervosa), my metabolism was a mess. I was able (with my tummy muscles)
to overstimulate my intestines so heavy, that all the food that came in,
came out very quickly hardly being digested. (no, I didn't use
laxatives). I think I hardly didn't take up any nutritients anymore.
(this was shortly before I was hospitalized). I think that under that
circumstances I couldn't have breastfed.

If she had severe Bulimia, i think it is possible she didn't digest the
food very good, ether by vomitting, or by diarrhea (caused by the use of
laxatives or of muscles). If a woman is lacking too much of the food,
this can have impact on the milk production.

This is just my personal -not medical based- opinion,
--
Annelies Bon               http://www.flnet.nl/~0bon01/bfbronnen.html
bf counsellor in training of the Dutch bf org "Borstvoeding Natuurlijk"