From:
"A. Bon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Aug 1996 10:10:45 +0200
From:    Ruthy Wilson <[log in to unmask]>

"Any midwives out there to help me with a "Pump Rep" who is suffering from
what sounds like excess relaxin: very sore joints (hips and pubic
symphysis) especially bad upon rising in am she's open to homeopathy if
it's tried and safe i thought a chiropractic adjustment might help, what's
out there ? many thanks. i need this before Wednesday 10 am that gives me
24 hours and my resources are not specific"

Sorry I'm late in this. This sounds to me as what (I think) is called
"pelvis laxity" in English language. Two causes: hormones (esp relaxine)
workes too much during pregnancy causing the pelvic bones (symfyse and
SI-bones) too loose of eachother; the other is mechanic, during
childbirth the pelvic bones are too forced, which causes the same
problems. The problems can be: problems with walk, sore (under) back,
even sterile infections due to irritation. Most of the times this
recovers by itselves after delivery, but not allways. This case sounds
serious enough to be very cautious. Good exercises combined with enough
rest. It's difficult to find a good balance between this.
A exercise can easily be forcing, which you find out the day after the
exercises. Also wrong movements. Eg pushing something heavy with your
foot, can be very forcing. Exercises with spreaded legs should be
avoided. It's important to find a practioner (eg chiropratcer or
physiotherapist) who knows a lot about this. Most of them do more harm
than good. I shouldn't recommend homeopatists, since I've heard much crap
from them about pelvis laxity. (eg she should stop nursing).

It's possible she ends in wheelchair or cruches during pregnancy. Some
women ends even in weelchair for their whole life, but that's rare.

Heavy cases will never fully recover.

And: delivery shouldn't happen laying on the back with legs upwards.
Instead half sitting position with pillows in the back, no foreceps and
no vacuum extractor. About sitting position I hear several messages: some
say it's okay, some say it's not. My midwife said it should give to much
pressure on the symfyse.

I suffer from this since the delivery of my first (the mechanic variant),
will never fully recover. During my last pregnancy I ended in wheelchair
and cruches, but am recovering well. Can walk and carry my baby, but
cannot run and have to move carefully. Docter midwife and
physiotherapist don't recommend having another baby, bc every
preg/delivery makes it worse. :(

And back to topic: nursing has a good effect on this bc nursing delays
ovulation and menstruation. During menstruation the body releases extra
relaxin.

Hope this helps,

Annelies Bon
Mother of Dirk (Dec 2, 90), Tom (Oct 29, 92) and Pieter (Feb 19, 96)
applicant of Dutch bf organisation "Borstvoeding Natuurlijk"
Computerlinguist at the University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Maintainer of the FAQ: Breastfeeding after c-section, available at:
         http://www.greatstar.com/lois/bfcsec.html
email: [log in to unmask]
My homepage is: http://www.flnet.nl/~0bon01/