From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Aug 2010 07:07:57 -0400
>>Formula is so easy in the hospital. Just crack off the bottle cap and
screw on the nipple, voila!  ready to feed. And baby does not need to open
the mouth widely to feed, just open the mouth a crack and the adult does the
rest. 5-10  minutes later the feeding is done, everybody is happy.

>>Breastfeeding is a different scenario.  Baby may not latch on after
several attempts, new mothers feel like they need 4 hands to position the
baby, common doubts around if baby is getting enough.

A hospital in NYC has a better way.  Every room has a poster of a woman
lying comfortably propped up in a hospital bed, baby angled across her and
nursing within the loose nest of her arms while mom clearly has one hand
free.  Mother and baby are both dressed, except for breast access.  The
caption:  "THIS IS SO EASY."

The head LC at that hospital says laid-back breastfeeding has completely
changed her workday.

Laid-back breastfeeding *isn't* baby-led, or not the mother-dead way we've
come to think of it. Mom chooses clothing, side, positions and angles (which
change from one moment to the next as she chooses, and which are re-arranged
by the baby as *he* chooses).

This weekend I saw the mother of a 6 week old who was still having latching
problems and pain.  Once she lay back and shared the job with the baby, with
gravity as their ally rather than their enemy, the baby was on in a flash
and the pain on one side was gone.  Not completely gone on the other side,
but she could see that it was just a matter of the two of them playing with
it a bit more.  The first side was a few-second, totally hands-off fix.

There's a nice mother-video at www.biologicalnurturing.com.

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC, LLLL  Ithaca, NY