From:
Sonya Shaver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Oct 2011 15:30:28 -0400
Hi Dawn and others,
Do you mean that you would ask the client's physician first, and then call
on the other resources?  Or would you gather the info first and then take it
to the physician?  I am just asking because I have called the Infant Risk
Center several times to get more information about drugs, but I have usually
done it the other way around.  After speaking to the mom, I would gather all
the information I could, and then call the doctor to share the information,
but maybe that is not the right protocol.  I feel like I am still learning
the right way to go about such things.

I guess actually the times I have encountered these questions, the mom
hasn't always been told not to breastfeed already, or she is still pregnant,
etc.  So would you handle it differently if you were approaching a physician
who had already told the mom not to breastfeed vs someone who was still just
gathering information?

Thanks!
Sonya Shaver, BS, CHES, IBCLC