From:
James O'Quinn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Aug 2006 10:13:10 -0400
Hi Corrine,

Since elevated hormones seem to be responsible
for hyperemesis and prolactin is an estrogen antagonist
nursing through this pregnancy could be making the difference for
this mom...

I've seen at least one study that I can recall
where elevated prolactin levels have been associated with less nausea
during pregnancy...

  Also drugs which lower prolactin levels cause nausea...
(some chemo drugs for example)

And we all know pregnancy progresses mothers feel better
perhaps estrogen and progesterone are not counterbalanced
as well in the first trimester as they are in later trimesters...

My experience with morning sickness
was that it was worse the closer the pregnancies were spaced-
that is the more the toddler was nursing the sicker I was-

This seems to be the opposite of your client- go figure!

I can't recall if I got a temporary reprieve from the nausea
  when I was nursing, but it makes sense to me,
given the above facts about prolactin
  that nursing might make a mom feel better temporarily...

  I had no morning sickness for the 3 pregnancies that I was not
nursing at all, which of course could be coincidental...
but I always felt like the nausea had something to with
the double nutritional taxation of pregnancy and nursing...

I only mention this because the only clients
I have had that have had true hyperemesis-
the kind that puts you on maintainence drugs
and in the hospital every so often-
are extremely thin women and/or women
with restricted diets...

I did find that by forcing myself to eat protein in the morning
(even though I was nauseous in the morning)
I had a better day and didn't end up in the bed with the blinds drawn
with a blinding migraine by noon...

So my generally feeling is that beyond hormones there is a
nutritional component...

In my own case I had 5 boys before I had a girl,
and my first inkling that I might be having a girl
was that I was constipated and I had
never been constipated with a previous pregnancy.
(I also ran a low grade fever every evening for the first trimester
whatever that means?)

So I'll be curious to learn if she has a boy or a girl!

Jen O'Quinn IBCLC
Augusta, GA