From:
Evelyn Landry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Feb 1997 07:50:38 -0600
I am asking for any suggestions for helping a mom who has a abscess - this mom
1st had 1 sore nipple - did all the things suggested and it seemed to
improve.  Next mastitis - She used heat, massage, hot showers, nursed often,
pumped  - Dr. put her on antibiotics seemed to clear up.   She called back
to say she developed another area on her breast - Dr. did a needle biopsy
withdrew "pus" put her on a different antibiotic, told her to come back in 3
days to determine if it was necessary to open and drain the area.  This mom
is on the verge of giving up BF but really doesn't want to.  She did tell me
that with her previous baby she was also getting frequent bouts of mastitis.
I asked if the Dr. had cultured the specimen to determine the most effective
antibiotic - he didn't.  We discussed the possibility that the 1st med
possibly didn't clear up the mastitis and this was actually still dealing
with the original problem.  She only took the meds for 8 days.  We went over
all the things in BF Question & Ans
book - nothing seems to be missing in how this mom is BF.  We discussed
taking the med for 10-14 days, then staying on a low dose for 2-3 months,
checking the baby, even possible yeast.  Any other suggestions?

Another situation - has anyone ever heard of a rash on the baby's face being
caused by the "mother's" hormones while breastfeeding????  A Ped Dr. told a
mother this, and then put the baby on a topical cream to clear it up.  Baby
is 1 month old, doing great with BF. Sounded like a contact rash to me,
started on the cheeks, next rest of the face and neck.  Any ideas?  Thanks.
P.S.  Really appreciated the fast responses I got regarding my questions
about papilloma.  The mom was thrilled, and ready to get a 2nd opinion and
plans to BF.