From:
Linda Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 1996 16:27:13 -0500
I agree with cwgenna and her intervention with happy to starve babies.  I
will wait for 24 hours to see if baby wakes up by himself before intervening.
 If he remains sleepy, poor,weak suck and no intake, I use ebm or medicinally
used abm to push in some calories.  I will use a cup, or feeding tube device
at the breast if the baby will suck at all.  Occasionally, a baby seems only
interested in sucking if there is a reward and the abm tease while at the
breast will stimulate the sucking.  Most often, after one or two doses at 2-3
hour intervals, the baby perks up and begins to do it on his own.  I do not
know if it is the calories per say, or the fill-empty-fill-empty cycling that
works.  But it is a great way to successfully initiate the feeding cycle.
 All of this on an 30-45 cc of calories.

Linda from sunny Southern California. .