From:
Ann Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 10:27:47 EST
I would like to add to this discussion.  I agree to just stop at the benefits
of breastfeeding is not enough.  As professionals in the field of lactation I
feel it is our place to inform the expectant parents of the risks of formula
and then let them make their informed decision.  When I teach prenatal
classes I let the participants know that I am laying out all the information
in my role as a health professional just as I would on immunizations and the
decision is theirs.
At the 1996 ICLA conf there was a speaker who left a very impressive message
to me.  The speaker was Kiram Saluja, a WIC director in Calf.  Her
presentation was: "Breastfeeding Promotion in the WIC Setting: Creative
Strategies for Success".  One of the examples she shared when teaching the
prenatal breastfeeding class is a poster they made of a large can of formula.
 The can has doors the instructor opens with the risks of formula feeding.
Instead of approaching the class with the benefit of breastfeeding protecting
against future diabetes, the poster states the higher risk of future
diabetes.  She had 4 sets of doors, the first was 'cost', next 'time', next
'baby at risk for', and then 'risk factors for mom'.  At the top is 'formula
facts:'.
I have used this in a few classes and as of yet to have any one tell me I was
too negative.
I try to deliver this class with a professional tone and leave out the
compassion.  I save that for parenting.
Ann Perry RN IBCLC
Boston, Mass