Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 2014 15:37:35 +0000
>Dear Lactnet Friends:
>
>There is more to clinical practice than the hierarchy of evidence. Our
>  focus on evidence relies on a cartesian view of the world.
>
>Where is the evidence to support Love? How many units of Love are required
>for a baby to thrive? What degrees of Love are important?

Ha! I agree with what you are saying, Nikki - but
no one is setting up a business telling parents
that if they pay $x or Ły for Z minutes, they can
give them 'love' which will fix a particular
problem. Or if they *are* doing this, we would
rightly want some evidence that this $x worth of
'love' was indeed effective for this problem :)

>CST is a blend of energetic and physical medicine. It does lack that
>evidence based that we all use; and, as a practitioner, to witness a baby's
>skull bones expand under my hands, as the mother watches, fascinated, gives
>it 100% validity in my practice. To see a torticollis, diagnosed and
>treated with physical therapy yet still unresolved, completely disappear
>forever while under my hands, gives it 100% validity in my practice.

Well - excuse my bluntness, but it should *not*
give you 100 per cent validity.  It is better to
remain questioning, open to doubt, open to
challenge, and open to *testing*.  This does not
mean lacking confidence or faith in yourself or
what you offer. But 100 per cent belief of this
sort can actually be harmful in the wrong hands :(

What you are offering your clients is clearly
something valuable and effective, but to claim it
is 'CST' and the result of a special way of
touching or manipulating, and the effect on
bones/muscle/fluid or whatever, is to make a huge
leap.

I think the evidence is that conventional
medicine can learn a lot from the way confident,
caring practitioners outside the mainstream
relate to their clients, how these clients are
empowered and how they gain in confidence. We
have *tons* of good,  biologically-plausible,
testable  evidence of the immense value of touch
and human connection, emotional and physical.

I think it is vastly more likely that this is
what is 'working' - when it 'works' .

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc, tutor, UK