From:
"Glass, Marsha" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 12:38:41 -0500
Jan's post was very timely!  I have a mom with an almost 3 week old baby
whom I saw in the hospital after delivery and noted the short frenulum.  Mom
was already experiencing damaged nipples after one day.  I mentioned the
frenulum to her and told her that the baby might need to have that clipped
if her nipples didn't get better.  Baby was latching and sucking well, so
there was no other obvious reason for all that damage.  Well, her
pediatrician apparently told her that "we don't do that anymore" and
dismissed it.  So, she called me last week, 2+ weeks out, and still had
damaged nipples and excruciating pain when nursing.  Baby was, however,
gaining ok.  I set about finding someone who would clip the frenulum for
her, since her pediatrician wouldn't and she didn't want to fight him about
it.  She did, however, still want to breastfeed.  I left her a message with
the name of an oral surgeon just before leaving for the weekend on Friday.
After reading Jan's post today, I called to make sure she got the message
and check on her.  She was still kind of waffling and thinking she'd stick
it out another week before doing anything if it didn't improve, so I read
her part of the post and she's going to call the surgeon (turns out she
knows him!) and find out what is involved.  I think it really helped her
hearing that it was such a simple procedure and can make such a difference.
I told her to keep me posted.  Thanks, Jan, for sharing!

Marsha, who would love to hear from everyone about the ILCA conference and
really hopes to go next year.  I've been doing breastfeeding stuff for 20
years and have never attended an ILCA conference, because I was doing the
single mother thing for 4 kids for eight years.  Now, happily remarried with
2 children out on their own, another almost, and a full time job in
lactation, maybe next year I can do it!