From:
Norma Ritter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Aug 2000 06:37:57 -0400
Carol wrote:
>this isn't just idiocy, its MALPRACTICE - especially what sounds
suspiciously
like intentional infliction of pain because they disapproved of the
mother's
choices. when will we quit excusing other medical professionals for this
type
of behaviour? what is our ethical stance on this, do we tell the mother
that
this is such poor practice that it warrants further consideration or just
sympathize and shake our heads?

The problem is that she won't complain! She even hesitated to agree to
getting a second opinion if she had further problems!
I wish I knew how to change this kind of thing. It seems that women are
LESS willing to make their wishes known than previously, at least when it
comes to medical matters. We have succeeded in medicalizing birthing, and
are well on our way to doing the same with breastfeeding. The
extraordinary has become the norm, and the norm the extraordinary.
When people ask me what I do, I often answer that I empower women. I
guess this just wasn't a very good week.

Norma Ritter, IBCLC
private practice in Big Flats, NY