From:
"Marie Davis, Rn, Clc" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 1996 16:24:14 -0500
I first sent this on Feb 3.  I need to get the clarification ASAP for a text
that has to be submitted by Monday Feb 12th.  Any information would be
greatly appreciated:

********************************
This info goes back to May. I was going over some information I saved on
cabbage for engorgement and found two conflicting pieces of information. I
need clarification for an article I'm writing. Does anyone know the right
 answer?

Item 1

Following is the article that was printed in the Jerusalem Post on November
26,
1994:  CABBAGE SOOTHES THE SAVAGE BREAST by Judy Siegel...
<snip> ...Shema said that green (but not red) cabbage contains sulfa
compounds, which pass through the skin, constrict vessels, and slow milk
flow.<<<<<<<<<

Compare to Item 2
Date:   Mon, May 15, 1995 18:22 PDT
LETTERS TO THE EDITOR - JERUSALEM POST - DECEMBER 3, 1994
Although the exact mechanism does not seem to be known, one possible
explanation comes from BREASTFEEDING REVIEWS (1988).  "Cabbage belongs to the
'Brassicacea family' and contains mustard oil, magnesium, oxylate and sulphur
heterosides.  Sulfa in the amino-acid methionine acts as an antibiotic and
antiirritant, *****which in turn draws an extra flow of blood to the area.
 This diates the capillaries and acts as a counter-irritant, thus relieving
the engorgement and inflammation and allowing the milk to flow."*******<<<<<<

Which one is right? Do the blood vessles dialate or constrict?  Makes a big
difference if you are trying to explain to someone how it works.   HELP  :-(
Marie Davis
The information is going into a table in a revision I am doing now so it has
to be correct. I can't find any sources that say how it works just that it
does work.
Thanks Marie Davis