From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jul 2000 01:05:24 EDT
In a message dated 6/7/00 6:48:16 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< Many of my African American mothers breastfeed and for extended periods of
time (working as well as non working moms).  I know of other practices where
this is the case.  They might not go to breastfeeding support groups, however
there is a significant "underground" of Black women who breastfeed.

It's more than pictures that will encourage even more women of color to
breastfeed.  It's also looking at a community from a position of where there
are strengths and assets rather than always looking for deficits and needs. >>

This is a bit old, but important, IMO. When I worked in an inner city
hospital clinic, the population was largely Latina, with African Americans
being the third largest group (after whites of various backgrounds). When we
began our peer counseling program, the avg age of weaning overall was 2
weeks. Within a little over a year, it was 4 mos. It was very rare to have
Latina mothers who nursed beyond 6 mos in our particular city, but the
African American moms typically nursed for 1-2 years or more. And, as you
described, the moms did not tend to go to support groups and there was
definitely an underground of nursing moms. I, too, am always surprised at the
blanket assessment of black women and breastfeeding in America.
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA