Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 1997 16:43:47 -0500
No, no, no, no!  Nothing gives 100% protection against anything.  Not
even breastfeeding.  I will not go over how sometimes urinary tract
infections are diagnosed wrongly, but that is another story.  If
legitimate, this does not take away one bit from the benefits of
breastfeeding.

First of all, this mother was able to comfort her sick child in a way no
bottle feeding mother could ever do, through the putting in of IV's,
taking of blood and all the rest.  Secondly, it is quite likely the baby
would have been a lot sicker if she had not been breastfed.  There is
evidence that SIgA appears in the breastfed baby's urine, as well as
mucins and other immune factors.  Perhaps, if she had not been
breastfed, the baby would have gotten this a lot younger, at a time when
urinary tract infections can spread very quickly to the blood and become
a generalized infection.

Is she really sorry now she breastfed?

Since you are in the Holy Land, I should point out that nobody expects
this sort of protection even from G-d.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC