Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 22:35:29 +0200
Pricilla,
I  used the vaccine analogy when discussing the guilt issue with a certain
in my hospital, and her answer was, " But vaccinations are a matter of life
and death."  When I mentioned how many babies die each year from not
breastfeeding, she called me a fanatic.  So now every time I see that doc, I
call her a "vaccine fanatic".
I am now helping one of our peds who is struggling with her 2-month old
twins who are getting very little breast milk and lots of artificial.  It
started with her thinking that she did not have enough milk in the
beginning.  The more artificial milk she gave, the more miserable her babies
were. from about 1 1/2 hours after a bottle of artificial milk, they suffer
terribly from abdominal pain, and scream for at least 3-4 hours or until the
next feed. She has tried every type of artificial milk and the reaction is
the same.  While I spoke to her on the phone, I could hear the babies
screaming in the background.  I pleaded with her to put them on the breast
to calm them. she says that it does calm them but there is not enough milk
there.
I referred her to a colleague. ( I don't do house calls.)
Now we are in a frantic attempt to recover her milk supply, and I am trying
to find donor milk for her babies in the meantime.  Her comment to me: "if
only I had taken you more seriously when you spoke about breastfeeding, I
would have not given up so fast. "
I am under strict orders in my hospital not to make mothers feel guilty if
they don't breastfeed!! In this case, I am not what is making this poor
mother feel guilty.  Maybe this will make her a better pediatrician.

Esther Grunis, IBCLC
Lis Maternity Hospital
Tel Aviv, Israel