From:
"Glass, Marsha" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 11:58:48 -0500
In response to the posts about the article in the Indianapolis Star newspaper about the lack of legal rights of breastfeeding moms in Indiana, this is just a quick note to say that Indiana is indeed working on breastfeeding legislation.  We have been in contact with Liz Baldwin and exchanged some
drafts.  We hope to resume this collaboration now that she is on the mend.  A couple of good things came out of the article that was in our local paper about breastfeeding mothers not having laws to protect their right to do so in Indiana.  One is that we discovered from the article that legislation
was introduced a few years ago.  None of us knew that and now we know the congresswoman who introduced it and expect to get her help in this endeavor, as she has already been of assistance to our organization (the state Perinatal organization.  Remember, we did the Safe Sleep brochure) on other
matters!  We have also gotten some free publicity about the need for such a law and might contact the reporter who did the story in the first place as this goes forward.  3 very positive outcomes from the article which we didn't even know was being written!  We are preparing to "strike while the
iron is hot" and hope that next year will be our year for getting this accomplished.  I hope to be letting you all know that Indiana is joining ranks with the states who have legislation in place to protect the rights of breastfeeding mothers and babies/children!
Marsha
Marsha Glass RN, BSN, IBCLC
Mothers have as powerful an influence over the welfare of future generations as all other earthly causes combined.John S. C. Abbot