From:
Kerry & Jack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 15:17:41 -0500
I'm trying to help a mom who is scheduled to have a pulmonary CT (daughter
is approx. 2 years and is primarily breastfed). The nurse informed her that
the contrast agent they'll be using (Isovue 300, 100cc) is radioactive and
she will be unable to nurse for 48 hours. Hale's 2002 has information on
Isovue 128, which, from everything I've been able to find, is pretty much
the same thing as Isovue 300. The nurse she spoke with told her that the
difference is that the 128 is taken orally and the 300 is IV. She stated
that the 300 can affect thyroid function in a nursing infant.

Looking through the archives, I noticed that Dr. Newman mentioned that this
agent is NOT radioactive, however the nurse told her that it -becomes-
radioactive after the scan. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Does anyone
have any information about this particular agent? Is it similar/same as
Isovue 128 in composition, with the same risks/precautions?

Kerry Luskey
Minneapolis