From:
Nancy Mohrbacher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Nov 2003 12:38:32 -0600

> For another lovely example of this, see the first inside page of LLLI's new
> pamphlet, "When you breastfeed your baby: getting started."  Our own Nancy
> Mohrbacher makes the point very gracefully and clearly.
>
> Just as an aside, imagine the head of the AMA approaching the Surgeon
> General, requesting that he change the package warning to read:
>
> "Surgeon General=B9s Encouragement:  Not Smoking by Pregnant Women May Result
> in Fetal Health, Full-Term Birth and Normal Birth Weight"

Thank you, Diane.  I have been thoroughly and utterly Wiessingerized by reading Diane's seminal
articles over the years and by rooming with her (and Linda Smith) at the last two ILCA
conferences.  Having the chance to hash these issues out with the master of language has really
gotten the old wheels turning.  (When you room with Diane, however, be prepared to find water
balloons in the bathtub in the morning!)
In case you're curious, here is the opening paragraph of LLLI's new (2003) "When You Breastfeed
Your Baby: Getting Started."

"We have always known that breastfeeding brings the comfort and delight of a unique closeness
between mother and baby.  But it has only been in recent years that we’ve begun to understand how
important breastfeeding is to the normal health of a mother and her newborn.   Around 1900, for
the first time in human history, human milk substitutes were developed that could reliably keep
babies alive.  Although these artificial baby milks began to be widely used in the 1920s, it
wasn’t until the 1970s that research began to reveal their short- and long-term health effects on
mothers and their babies.   After a generation of artificial feeding, we now understand that
constipation, allergy, and a marked increase in ear infections, digestive problems, and many
other types of illnesses—both during infancy and later in life—are side effects of these human
milk substitutes rather than the norm.  Side effects to mothers include a higher risk of
osteoporosis, anemia, cancer of the ovaries, breast, and uterus, and more. "

I am looking forward to doing the same with as many of LLLI's pamphlets as I'm asked to write and
rewrite.  It's time for a change!

Nancy  Mohrbacher, IBCLC
Chicago suburbs, Illinois USA