Date:
Sat, 12 Jan 2002 15:11:38 +0000
Getting dangerously off topic, list-mama....but

>Brits call something 'dust' if it is being discarded.  Their expanded
>definition of 'dust' includes soiled disposable diapers, fruit peels, tin
>cans, you name it, but hardly what you'd consider removing with your vacuum
>cleaner (which Brits call Hoovers, no matter what the brand, I think).

Huh? Nope....to this Brit, dust is dust! Yes, the stuff you remove
with your Hoover (you got that bit right!).

The guy who comes to take away what you call 'garbage'  or 'trash'
(and we call 'rubbish') is  the 'dustmen' or the 'binmen' but he
(usually a 'he')  definitely does *not* remove dust...we put dust in
the Hoover and rubbish in the bin ('trashcan', I think).

And to drag it back to topic (sort of) .....the rubbery things on top
of bottles are not nipples but 'teats', 'nursing' (usually) means
giving a baby a cuddle, and a 'nursing mother' is any woman with a
young baby,  'nappies' are diapers, 'cots' are cribs, 'prams' are
carriages, 'pushchairs' or 'buggies'  are strollers...etc etc etc :
))))

Heather Welford  Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK