From:
amyibclc <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Oct 2003 21:42:21 -0500
I've sadly made the acquaintance or even friendship of several mothers in recent years who at some point disclose to me, or should I put it, recommend to me, the wisdom of the Pearls.  I did some research and concluded that the Pearls make the Ezzos look like teddy bears.

Yes, this method is popular, especially in Christian circles.  Yes, the parents may otherwise appear very loving and responsive.  They are  not all monsters.  But most of them do have some weird "thing" about them that I was unable to identify until I found out about the Pearls.

The Pearls do speak highly of breastfeeding, up to one year, if I remember correctly.  Debbi Pearl is deaf or almost deaf and prefers to have her babies sleep with her or very near her, if I remember correctly.  If you order the sample copy of their newsletter (called No Greater Joy) you would not likely get a good idea of what they are all about, but if you dig a bit deeper, as someone on this list has shown us, it becomes very ugly.  I think it would benefit us all to become familiar with their teachings since they do appear on the surface to advocate breastfeeding.  It can't help to be able to logically discuss it with a mom who might be considering it.

By the way, MANY of my friends used Ezzo or Pearl methods. I think it would have been very hard when we had babies to be friends but since I met them much later, it didn't necessarily ruin our friendships.  I do get the feeling they think my kids' bad behavior, when they witness any of it, is due to my "permissive parenting."  At the same time, I have a very hard time not telling them the reason their 6-10 year olds are "depressed, angry and withdrawn" is the result of their parenting methods!

On Sunday I returned from my church's women's retreat.  I had the pleasure of entertaining one of the nursing babies who was (thankfully) accompanying her mama.  The mom used me as a distraction until the next feeding time, which was a four hour interval and dropping from 6 feedings per day to 5. Baby is four months old, sleeps from 7:30 pm to 6:30 am, has been eating rice cereal for over 2 weeks now and "much more internal about her sin" than her older brother!!!!!    You can guess who was behind this couple's parenting education.

Ugggghhh.

Amy Brown, IBCLC