From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Mar 2007 18:12:14 +0100
Winnie Mading's subscription is hiccuping so I am posting this on her
behalf.  It refers back to the Supernanny thread.  Wouldn't that make a
welcome change from the credentials discussion?

Winnie ([log in to unmask]) writes:
I, too was appalled with the approach that praised the mother for becoming
"detached" from her 14 month old by ignoring the crying when she forced
weaning.  However, I did agree with one part of the Nanny's observation.
The mother appeared to be  nursing the toddler instead of other types of
interaction.  I did not see her making any effort to play with the child or
even suggest other ways the two of them could interact.  (Of course, we did
not see them 24/7 so what was shown may well have been edited to reinforce
the view the nanny wanted to enforce.)  It looked like the only way the
toddler could have time with mommy was to nurse.  I do not have a problem
with giving a mom suggestions to help a toddler gradually wean without
making it a "cold turkey" approach.  When a mom asks about weaning, in
addition to assuring her there is nothing wrong with an "older" child
nursing, I always talk about "other mother time"! .  When a mom has made the
decision to wean, whether I agree feel it is the decision I would have made
or not, she needs to know that the baby/child will fear loss of not just the
nursing buther connection with mom.  Moms should expect to spend MORE time
doing other things with the toddler while the adjustment is being made, not
cut off all time with mom.  At least the nanny did have mom cuddle without
nursing, but where was the encouragement to involve the 14 month-old in
other activities with mom?
I guess I was expecting a far more negative attitude toward toddler nursing
that what I saw.  (I normally do not watch the show, but did this time after
someone gave a heads up on LN.)  The nanny did say it was an individual
choice how long to breastfeed even though her personal opinion about it was
apparant.  She did acknowledge that it was a loss for the mom, but little
sympathy for the loss the child was experiencing.  The child seemed to be
viewed as a manipulator that had to be controlled rather than a person with
real needs.

Winnie