From:
Emily Lindsey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Sep 2007 13:04:24 -0400
With my son he began to have symptoms at 4 weeks and by 6-8 weeks we
had bloody stools that were frothy and filled with mucous. Between his
pediatrician and my mentor we knew we needed to eliminate the offending
food and start there. At 6 months of age I was still off all dairy and most
citrus as well as limiting eggs and nuts. We saw the allergist who did have him
tested and he told us that day we probably avoided a serious allergy by
understanding that his sensitivity could have grown into something more;
however by keeping those offending items from his system he was able to
mature and now at almost 3 can have milk, cheese, etc etc with no problems.
This was a slow process though and we made many attempts with small
amoutn sof milk before he was able to tolerate much and was breastfed until
one month ago. We were lucky and had a very supportive doctor who never
told me to wean (he did want to try soy formula but backed off that when the
allergist told him milk and soy were the largest cross allergens known). Today,
he still does not test for any allergies to food or the environment and the
allergist we saw swares it was because we kept his system as the best it
could be by minimizing offending organisms and keeping him as healthy as he
could be with breastmilk. Hope that helps.

Emily Lindsey, BSPsy, CLE