From:
Wendy Blumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 2006 09:51:31 +0200
Referring to Diane`s posting about the soapy taste of frozen expressed breast milk: there have been new studies about the changes that refrigeration and freezing make on breast milk, one of them being the destruction of most of the anti-oxidents.  We can`t usually ask babies if there is a difference in taste if the milk has been stored and refrigerated but obviously this baby is sensitive to change.
Was the second batch of milk from the same period?  One needs to rule out that the mother had not had some medication at that time or even been to the dentist and had a local anesthetic - I have known babies refuse mother`s milk for as much as 24 hours after her dental treatment.
Although I now advise clients not to freeze milk on a regular basis and to refrigerate for not more than two days, it is obvious that the occasional feed of stored milk is far superior to formula.  So on the occasions that this mother needs to store milk, maybe she should change the brand of storage bags.
Or it could be that the bags were not sealed sufficiently and that the milk absorbed something from other things in the freezer or any soapy liquid used for cleaning the freezer.

Plumbing the depths of my rather befuddled brain as our terrible situation gets worse for all of us.

Wendy Blumfield
NCT BFC
Israel Childbirth Education Centre, Haifa.