Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Nov 2004 14:17:23 GMT
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
The suggestion of an outside speaker is great. I suggest that you and the nurse manager speak with the neonatologists. If the hospital wont go for an outside speaker, maybe mandatory classes you set up for the nurses stressing the importance of breastmilk for these babies, attitudes, how to support the mothers, etc.

I started at a hospital with a 65 bed unit (includes intermediate beds) in July. We are increasing our pumping rate. Our neonatologists are trying to get more mothers to pump, especially for babies less than  1000 grams. When they are asked to talk to pregnant women (in hospital for preterm problems) and when they talk to mothers right after preterm deliveries, they strongly encourage mothers to pump and tell them their milk is like medicine for their baby and they are the only ones who can provide it. Some of the mothers who were undecided have told me that the neo told her that he would make her mind up for her-she would breastfeed (pump). This has gone over real well. I also make a visit to the ones hospitalized for preterm problems and explain the importance of breastmilk, especially for preterm babies. We have a handout called "How will breastmilk help my baby" that we give them and offer the videos and reading materials if they'd like.
Kris Wiedman RN IBCLC
Tennessee

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2