From:
Ann Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2007 20:32:52 EST
I dont' know if the reason I did not see my post was because I have  AOL but
I am trying to post it again.

There was an article in the paper today regarding the rotavirus vaccine
causing intussusception (twisting of the intestines).
This vaccine was removed from the market 8 years ago when these incidents
occurred.
Now there is a new vaccine called RotaTeq for rotavirus and there have been
28 new cases of intussusception.  The FDA states that intussusception can
occur naturally and so far the numbers do not exceed what would be seen
naturally.
"It looks like this is the natural background rate that we are seeing" said
Dr. Michelle Goveia, medical director for pediatric medical affairs at the
vaccine's manufacturer, Merck & Co. Inc.  Goveia suggested heightened  concerns
about the previous vaccine, made by Whyeth, prompted the FDA to  act.

I am posting this on LACTNET because I think we should tell mothers that
breastfeeding protects against rotavirus and why would any parent want the risk
of either the virus or this serious possible complication of this vaccine  if
they are breastfeeding?

Of course breastfeeding has no financial backing on this issue,  unlike the
drug companies who make this vaccine.
Being very cynical today!
Ann Perry, RN IBCLC
Boston, MA