Date:
Fri, 4 May 2007 23:47:38 EDT
Has anyone thought of having this mother find out about a test that can be
done alittle further down the line called a fetal fibronectin test.  It is
consider a predictor of preterm labor possibilities.  8 weeks is early for  it
but closer to the end of second trimester and early in the third trimester it
is used by our doctors. If the results show that preterm is a possibilty then
they look at perinatology consults, bedrest and treat symptoms  accordingly.
As for myself, I was a mother who had miscarriages at times prior to 17-19
weeks, when I had the good fortune to deliver my daughter at term and she was
breastfeeding so beautifully when, i found myself pregnant when she was 16
months old.  I had taken Provera and thyroid and spent 17 weeks on  bedrest just
to have her.  I asked the doctor what the plan was this time  and he told me
to take it one day at a time.  Never once did I think to  stop breastfeeding
the child I had in hopes of preventing another  disappointment.  I breastfed
her until 6 weeks prior to his birth and never  took a med or drug to hold on to
that precious pregnancy.  Later the doctor  and I thought that the
breastfeeding may have helped keep the pregnancy viable  because my villian was my
hormones would drop like a rock at 17 weeks.We hought  that the breastfeeding
offset any hormonal surges and thus the pregnancy  continued.  Who knows, maybe it
was a good pregnancy, but I know I  would have never stopped her
breastfeeding.   It was a sign of  the victory of her birth.
This poor mom will have many stories and recommendations, I pray she has
patience and fortitude to listen to her heart.
Leanne Jewell RNC, IBCLC, LCCE, FACCE
South Miami, Fl