Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2007 16:43:09 +0100
There seems to be an assumption that there is a huge difference
between old, home-made formulas, and today's commercially-packaged
varieties - but I don't see it.

Formula is basically skimmed milk powder plus added sugar - whether
it's home-made or manufactured.

In the UK, my mother ( one of twins, b. 1925) was raised on boiled
milk (bought from the cart), diluted and with sugar added. This was
unusual at the time - most mothers started off breastfeeding, but my
grandmother was told she would not be able to bf twins.

I am ready to hear other views but I really don't understand why home
made formula would be such a no-no even today .

  I can see it's convenient, and that a few added (synthetic) vitamins
are probably harmless, but beyond that, what makes it different from
home made?

Who benefits from the view that manufactured formula is so much
better than what we used to have?

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc, tutor, UK