From:
Toby Gish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Jan 1996 11:47:02 PST
I meet at least 2 or 3 mothers a year that have exquisitly sensitive nipples
and cannot tolerate
any touch. Most have been interested in BF...but most often it is
impossible. I had a mother put
her head under the pillow andd ask me to put the baby on her breast..while
she cringed....it
took alot of loving support to ease her guilt..and help her love her baby a
different way. I
have had lovely women who would love to bf...and make " it" go away, and
again their level of
discomfort was so acute that they could not continue...and needed support
for their discision. I
have only had two mothers to date that have succeded. One was sent to me by
her Dr. in her 6th
month. She was very happy to here that she wasn"t the only woman in the
world with this problem
. She elected to slowly get used to touch with the help of her supportive
and gentle husband. I
remember her telling me that for as long as she remembers herself she could
not tolerate any
touch. SHe did bf sucessfully for a year...it was never pleasurable or even
comfortable...but
she took great joy in being able to BF . I now have a woman who is still Bf
who I first met in
the hospital.... again my acknowlegement that some women feel this way greatly relieved her...It
took great willpower and the support of her partner...but she is doing well even though it is
far from pleasurable. I think in some women there may be some sort of nerve problem...I know
women that one nipple feels good and the other is painful...always. Sincely Toby
Name: Toby Gish R.N.LLLL.IBCLC
E-mail: Toby Gish <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 27/01/96
Time: 11:27:30 AM