From:
Carol Brussel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 15:54:30 EDT
diane hits upon something i always feel (and so few seem to agree or even get
it) that bothers me - if someone called the doctor and said that they had
been unable to urinate for twelve hours, it would be an EMERGENCY. "have to
get that urine out" or bad things will happen. have to do whatever is
necessary or else an infection could set in, the kidneys could shut down,
etc. what's the cause, how to treat - everything necessary would be done to
restore normal functioning.

and moms come in after days or even WEEKS or not being able to breastfeed,
with their milk supply impaired or destroyed, and no one thinks its even
important in most medical settings.

and then there is the discouraged adoptive mother who is feeding her new baby
at the breast but doesn't make much milk with a pump and so thinks "should i
continue breastfeeding even though i make no milk at all?" - this sounds like
"should we continue to have sex even though we have finished having babies"?
heck yes. its a natural process that should be honored by at least feeling
like its an emergency if its not happening.

today's new mother reports she was taught at her bf class and the hospital
that "pacifiers are great, babies can tell the difference between doing
nutritive sucking at the breast and non-nutritive sucking on the pacifier."
and - "introducing bottles at 3 days is just fine - they function exactly
like mom's nipples." ain't advertising great?

carol brussel IBCLC