From:
Teresa Pitman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Dec 1995 16:25:33 -0500
 I think the comments about how our ideas about child psychology and child
development are influenced by our society are so important. I've had several
discussions with psychologists about "attachment objects" (blankets, teddy
bears, pacifiers, etc.)in which they insisted they are necessary and
important "transition items" - and they were just disbelieving when I said
none of my children ever had these. In fact, few of my friends' children had
them either. Why cuddle up with a toy bear when you can cuddle up with Mom? I
remember hearing a pediatrician explain that head-banging in the crib (when
baby rocks back and forth banging his head against the end of the crib) is
normal and is done for "comfort." Well, I've certainly never seen a "family
bed" baby do something like that! We accept so many things as normal
(frequent ear infections, etc.) because of our culture's behaviour.
Teresa Pitman