From:
Joy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 1997 13:06:59 +0900
>Okay, I did not get much response to my (long and complicated) question
>last week- maybe I should simplify it, as I'm sure many of you have
>theories and experience with this...
>When a mother uses Reglan (metoclopramide) to increase supply, and it
>works, what mechanism keeps the milk supply at the newly elevated level
>once the drug is tapered off at two or three weeks?

Nancy, I thought I did include this in my post, but sort of got carried
away with the the fact that breastmilk volume does not keep increasing with
age of baby. In answer to your question, I would say - frequent and
efficient drainage of the breast, that keeps the autocrine system producing
more milk to replace that which is taken by the baby.

Joy Anderson B.Sc. Dip.Ed. Grad.Dip.Med.Tech. IBCLC
Nursing Mothers' Association of Australia Breastfeeding Counsellor
Perth, Western Australia.   mailto:[log in to unmask]