From:
"Lisa A. Marasco" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 May 1995 19:41:16 -0700
On Thu, 11 May 1995, Pardee Hinson wrote:

> Lisa,
> I am interested in your shaping of the breast into a V.  I particularly
> discourage any shaping of the breast.  Simply supporting the breast while the
> baby nurses.  In my experience, forming the breast makes it difficult for the
> baby to attach well.  It may be that I do not understand your definition of
> forming the breast into a V.  Please clarify.  Thanks.
> Pardee

Pardee,
I try not to get "religious" about this, but when I am working with a mom
who has had trouble latching the baby on without pain, etc., I have much
success in helping her to make what I call a "wedge" or "breast
sandwich". Using the popular "C" hold, or modifying it to a "U" (that's u
as in unicorn, not v as in victor), I just have her position her thumb on
top/side and one or more fingers on the other side about 1 1/2 or more
behind the nipple, clear of where the baby needs to be, and pull back
towards the chest wall ever so slightly. Many mothers want to squeeze
their breast and in doing so push the breast tissue behind their
fingers so that baby gets more skin than anything. The wedge takes away
the fullness of the rounded breast in that it forms a longish "hill" that
is easier for the baby to grab hold of. I find this especially useful
when the mother's breasts are very soft and the baby seems unable to find
the "landmarks" of the nipple. In doing this, the baby then feels
something a little firmer and "goes for it", sometimes for the first
time!  But please remember that I try to leave the successful alone and
only get picky with those who aren't succeeding under normal conditions.
Mother only has to do this for a few days or weeks until baby is
established on the breast, and then anything goes. Does this make sense,
or have I made the water murkier?

-Lisa

Lisa A. Marasco, IBCLC                                /  [log in to unmask]
International Board Certified Lactation Consultant    /  [log in to unmask]