Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 07:45:32 -0600
In my private practice work, doing only home visits,  I have many
"opportunities" to hear mothers' questions about how much breastfeeding is
"enough" to affect a positive outcome.  Here's what I reply--at this time.
This is a conversation with a mother and dad yesterday, after we helped a
2-week old to finally feed without any pain to mother's nipples.

Mother: "How long do you recommend that a woman breastfeed?"

Pat:  "Well, it depends on what you are after. You've already given him
something more valuable than either you or I can imagine. He got that
liquid gold of your colostrum and, despite your pain, you have enabled him
to grow 8 ounces in these two weeks--all on what your body made!!

If you want the minimum of benefit that you can give him, you've already
given it and it was certainly worth while.

If you are after immune protection, his own immune system begins to develop
at about 9 months, which is why the AAP recommends *at least* 1 year.  Up
until that time without the milk that your body makes, he is vulnerable to
whatever is going around. And that year will begin his immune system

If nutrition is your focus, then he will greatly benefit for as long as you
breastfeed him.  Your milk will change as his needs change and it will be
just right for him each day. No one knows what all is in breastmilk and we
don't need to know.  It is just what Noah needs.

If you are interested in brain growth, his most rapid brain growth is in
the first 3 months, but his brain development and connections continue
steadily until he is seven years. So, if you want optimal brain growth you
can nurse him until he's 7."

Much laughter all round.

Then I add that I recommend that she not set an end time now.  Just take
one day, one month at a time.  The AAP recommends at least one year and
thereafter for as long as mother and baby want to.  So, if she leaves it
open-ended then she can make her choices more easily.

Yesterday, Dad said, "That sounds like a good idea.  We don't know how
we'll feel down the road."

Pat: "Yes, and (to Mother) it hasn't been much fun for you thus far with
all of the pain.  But soon you will begin to look forward to breastfeeding.
 You will be surprised that you enjoy it so much and you won't be looking
forward to stopping."

I also tell them that what other people think about length of breastfeeding
changes. "When my first baby was born 33 years ago, 3 months was long term
breastfeeding, if one did it at all.  But you didn't nurse a baby with
"shoes on!" Then four years later, 6 months was acceptable.  Now no one
thinks you're strange for nursing until 1 year. But more and more women are
making up their own minds and not letting others tell them what to do."

This reply is longer than I expected, so I'm going to write another post
telling about a case that I had a few years ago. Actually, as I think about
it the little boy is 6 years old now.

After that long answer (above) to the mother, you are probably thinking
that you don't ever want to ask Pat Gima a question.

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Mailto:[log in to unmask]