From:
Lisa Marasco IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jul 2003 17:17:48 -0700
On the top of my list of things to look for with reflux is maternal
bovine dairy intake and family history of
allergies/sensitivities/intolerances. I've seen several babies settle
down when the dairy intake has been reduced or eliminated. IMHO, dairy
may be an increasing factor because of how, at least in the U.S., we
push dairy during pregnancy and lactation. Moms who may otherwise drink
very little milk are told to drink a quart of milk a day, and on top of
that are encouraged to eat lots of dairy products. Most especially when
they come from a dairy-intolerant background, it seems like we are doing
them a great disservice and may also be causing babies needless agony in
the process.

Right now I have a three month old baby with GER that I am working with;
his mom normally hates milk but has been doing lots of dairy because
"it's supposed to be good for the baby." Family hx of dairy allergies.
It's been just 72+ hrs of elimination so far and there have been some
encouraging good moments that mom is really excited about-- too early to
draw any conclusions, but I have hopes that this is going to make a
significant difference for this mom and baby.

Lisa Marasco