Date:
Sun, 19 Mar 2000 09:15:32 EST
I tend to see more engorgement in c/s-epidural moms whose physician uses
Reglan as an anti-nausea/anti-emetic prophylaxis.  If you see moms in the
community, sometimes they are not aware that they were given Reglan. It has
helped to learn which docs use this protocol and be ready to jump in on day
two with these patients. Remember, too, that women who have had c/s may not
want to feed the baby as often as the baby is hungry due to their discomfort.
Many of them are not aware of the football hold or opportunity to take pain
meds prior to a feed. This seems so basic to us, but sometimes the nurses are
"amazed" at these good ideas. I also tend to see many younger women who may
be slightly exagerating their discomfort for attention....I know it is major
surgery but we can help them help themselves feel better if they are
compliant. ( I really don't like that word but what else have we got?)
Rambling on in Romeoville, IL
Mary Kay Smith, IBCLC