From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Mar 2003 23:00:49 +0000
Kathy, you responded with some excellent points and they are well taken. In
Louisiana, the Lactina is used instead of the Elite for early breastfeeding
problems. However, the availability of same is very limited. I guess that is
one of the big problems. I agree it can be difficult to get these pumps
returned. (I have experience running a rental depot). If I had a mom with a
premie or sick baby and no Lactina was available I would suggest she use the
Purely Yours or Pump in style over a hand pump. (She could hand express of
course, that's a whole 'nother issue - culturally unacceptable it seems
here). You are right these are not the 'right' pump for such a situation,
but in my experience moms are more compliant using the double electrics and
I think the rule about not giving out before 4 wks should be considered and
possibly changed. Again, your post was fair and accurate.

Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, RN
New Orleans Louisiana, s.e. USA