From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 2014 10:20:07 -0700
HELP!

This is my first call of this type...and I hope I was able (I was visiting our daughter and son-in-law who have no kids, so my brain was not in "breastfeeding support/information mode").

Mom is pregnant and due in the Summer - however, she had already started adoption process and learned she and her husband were picked by a birth mother.  They decided to go on with the adoption but...adopted baby is due about 6 weeks before she delivers her baby!

Her concerns were what and how to feed in-between adoption and birth, as she hopes to breastfeed both once she has delivered.  Unfortunately she will need to travel to another state to get her baby, and stay there until the adoption is completed, which makes setting up a support system more complicated.

We discussed:

·        Contacting La Leche League and an IBCLC in the state/city she will be adopting

·        safety of hand expressing colostrum and offering that as much as possible to her adopted baby

·        access to banked human milk (very expensive)

·        access to mothers milk from other mothers both locally that she could freeze and transport as well as finding it in her temporary home (she will be staying with friends) and its risk/benefit

·        use of formula as a temporary measure if the above did not work out – she was interested in using organic formula

What would you have recommended?

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC

Vacaville, CA