From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 16:10:30 -0600
The April 1999 issue of Parenting has a very nice article by Paula Spencer
about breastfeeding in public.  I could find nothing to criticize about it,
so you know it was good!  :)

However, a number of pages later we find two ads by Nestle/Carnation.  The
first is truly obnoxious -- it shows a *cute* little happy baby face, and
the ad copy by him says "We may be famous for our chocolate, but we started
out with something much sweeter."  Down below the photo, the ad copy reads:

"It all began in 1867 in Switzerland when a young pharmacist named Henri
Nestle was asked to look in on a neighbor's child who couldn't breastfeed.
Henri saved the baby's life by creating a special mixture of what would
later be recognized as the world's first infant food.  We've been in the
business of caring for babies ever since.  Never forgetting for a moment how
it all began with one small, sweet life.  Today, you'll find that same
Nestle expertise in the entire family of Carnation Baby Formulas.  To find
out more, visit our website at www.carnationbaby.com."

Below in very tiny print is the standard line:
"Remember, breastmilk is the ideal food for babies.  Talk to your doctor
about your feeding choices."

Turn the page and you see the second ad, one of the standard one for
Carnation Followup formula, with the tag line of "Bring out the very best in
your baby."

GAG.

Kathy Dettwyler