From:
Fiona Hermann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 12:21:00 +1200
This finally dawned on me when studying for the IBCLC exam (see, studying
does have benefits!) and reading the WHO book  BF: the physiological basis.
I could never understand why the cereal would go so thin till i understood
my EBM was making life easier for my baby!
Now onto # 3, I find adding a little water as well as EBM works OK, a least
it is of a consistency that you can spoon. The other alternative is, as the
cereal gets thinner as the feed progresses, to give it in a cup!
It seems to teach the baby to drink, and the thicker liquid is easier for
them to manage. No trials on this, just my own trial- and- error experiments!

I wonder about the smell of bm when it is heated- very unpleasant. Is this
just me or is it universal?

Have been musing on a small comment made to me yesterday - something I have
heard many, many times, but it just struck me in a way it hasn't before.
I was buying a new maternity bra, and the assistant admired my 10 mth old son.
Asking "are you pregnant now" and being told, no, still bf, she replied,
"oh, I fed my son till 10 mths, he was easy to get off me then, it was just
a comfort for him then".
I replied that, yes, bf is a very big source of comfort for babies, and left
it at that.
Why are women so worried about giving comfort with their breasts?
I often hear "he's just using you as a dummy (pacifier)"
Yes! They were invented way before dummies!
These are just rhetorical questions, don't expect an actual answer, but
isn't it sad that bf seems to be just about food for so many mums?

Fiona Hermann
Hamilton
New Zealand