From:
Jenny Doncon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Sep 2009 09:25:10 +0800
Hi Karen

I have noticed that a lot of exclusive expressing mums have an
oversupply during their first year or so.  They either seem to have
way too much milk, or not enough, very frustrating.  From my
experience, I easily made almost twice Michael's needs for his first 6
months, and then it gradually began to drop off, however I could not
cut back to three sessions a day without getting mastitis, so stuck at
4.  I found that after he was 18 months old, it became a struggle to
keep the supply up, but before that it had been a breeze.  I could
hook myself up to the pump, read books, knit, type essays, anything I
wanted.  After 18 months I needed breast compression to get enough
milk for Michael, and after 2 years, my supply just plummeted
(although I also cut back sessions, because I was weaning).  My point
is that if your mum keeps on expressing 4 times a day, for another few
months, she should find that her supply settles on its own.  The body
really doesn't respond as well to the pump as it does to the baby, and
the hormones just don't keep up.

Jenny

Jenny
ABA Counsellor, Australia